Allen S. Rugg
Allen Rugg has over 30 years experience in complex litigation. He has tried over 60 cases to verdict or judgment, many before juries, in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels in the District of Columbia, the Eastern District of Texas, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Florida, Nebraska, and Virginia. He has argued appeals before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Federal, District of Columbia, First, Fourth, and Seventh Circuits.
Representative cases Allen has handled as lead counsel include:
- Successfully opposed $120 million damage claim against semiconductor manufacturer in patent infringement case.
- Favorably settled patent infringement case involving power adapter technology on eve of district court jury trial and after the dismissal of parallel ITC proceedings.
- Defended securities issuer in $37 million insurance fraud case and counter-sued plaintiff insurance company for bringing the insurance fraud case in bad faith; after two jury trials, won defense verdict on insurance fraud claims and recovered $12.5 million in settlement of the bad faith litigation counterclaim.
- Defended $120 million arbitration arising out of design and construction of solar power panels and steering rockets on telecommunications satellite.
- Won $23.8 million jury verdict in trade secret and breach of contract action against national credit reporting company for misuse of confidential computer data; case settled without appeal.
- Won successful judicial dissolution of joint venture corporation in Chancery Court of Delaware.
- Served as lead trial counsel in Constitutional challenge to Maine’s prescription drug pricing statute on behalf of pharmaceutical manufacturers’ association.
- Defended venture capitalists in federal securities case in federal court in Washington, DC, arising out of financing of national chain of ambulatory medical care centers.
Allen was previously a litigation partner with Powell Goldstein LLP and managing partner of its Washington, DC office.
American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
District of Columbia Bar Association
- Litigation Section
The George Washington University, B.A.
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors
District of Columbia
Various U.S. Courts of Appeals