Michael A. Albert
Michael Albert co-chairs the firm's Litigation Group and focuses his practice on patent litigation. He has trial experience before federal and state courts across the U.S. and has prevailed in appellate practice before the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the First and Federal Circuits and the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Michael's clients include high-tech companies in the software, internet, biotechnology and engineering industries, as well as Fortune 500 retail businesses and leading research universities. Michael has litigated IP cases successfully against some of the largest law firms and corporations in the world. In addition to patent cases, Michael litigates in the areas of trademark, copyright, and internet law. He also serves as an arbitrator for internet domain name disputes through the World Intellectual Property Organization and the National Arbitration Forum. Michael has also handled numerous pro bono cases, winning injunctive and monetary relief for a range of clients.
While at Harvard Law School, Michael served as a research assistant to Professor Laurence Tribe on constitutional and telecommunications law. He also served as a law clerk for Judge Leonard I. Garth of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Won $17M patent infringement settlement from Kraft for our client Keurig on the eve of trial for infringement of patent relating to brewer cartridges.
- Won Massachusetts’ largest jury verdict of 2007 in a patent infringement case as lead counsel for medical device company Diomed, Inc. in a trial against two infringers of Diomed's patent on a method for laser vein treatment.
- Obtained eight-figure settlement of multi-patent dispute between arch-rivals in a growing field of computer-based technology.
- Assisted a major university and two medical device companies in asserting a successful biotechnology patent infringement case, resulting in a multi-million dollar jury award, trebled by the trial court, and upheld on appeal by the Federal Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment, sustained on appeal, in one of the leading trade dress and copyright cases in the First Circuit, as well as a seven-figure award of fees and costs.
- Won permanent injunction against Fortune 500 company in complex copyright and breach of contract case, followed by successful mediation of past damages.
- Obtained substantial settlement on behalf of software developer in copyright dispute against multi-billion dollar publishing company.
- Defended major consumer products company in multi-patent trial and won Federal Circuit reversal of damages award.
- Successfully defended Fortune 500 manufacturer against copyright infringement suit.
Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
Boston IP Inn of Court
- Founding member
Boston Patent Law Association
Harvard Extension School
- Adjunct Professor, IP Law
- Best Lawyers in America® (IP Law)
- Editor, Harvard Law Review
- The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners - IAM® Patent 1000
- Repeatedy named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list
- Repeatedly named to the Top 100 Lawyers, Massachusetts and New England - Massachusetts Super Lawyers®
- Corporate LiveWire's Lawyer of the Year - Patent Litigation
- Corporate LiveWire Global Award - Litigation & Dispute Resolution in Massachusetts
- Named a Fellow in The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society by the Litigation Counsel of America
- World's Leading Trademark Professionals 2015 (Enforcement and Litigation)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Michael is fluent in French.
Michael was featured on the cover of Super Lawyers New England 2012:
Harvard University, A.B., magna cum laude
University of California at Berkeley, M.A.
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
Editor, Harvard Law Review
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. Supreme Court