Neil P. Ferraro
Neil Ferraro chairs the firm's Mechanical Technologies Practice Group. Neil counsels clients in all areas of intellectual property, with particular emphasis on domestic and international patent procurement, clearance to market analysis, acquisitions, diligence, and licensing matters.
Neil represents clients ranging from start-ups to large corporations in technologies including injection molding equipment, medical devices, sports equipment, consumer products, imaging systems, electromechanical devices, printers, microfluidic systems, industrial equipment, fabrics, sensors, optics, utility line equipment, and engines and automotive components.
Neil’s strong technical skills coupled with his deep knowledge of patent law and industry standards allow him to provide sound technical, business, and legal advice to aid clients in obtaining their business objectives.
- Performed audit of client’s intellectual property strategy, supporting client’s win of a Top 10 Law Department Award for In-House Counsel Magazine.
- Negotiated joint development agreements.
- Conducted freedom-to-operate diligence for venture capital firm.
- Performed diligence in support of a major acquisition.
- Cleared a significant product introduction for major consumer product company, navigating through dozens of patents held by competition.
- Analyzed seller’s patent portfolio for major medical device manufacturer’s purchase.
- Counseled venture capital firm on acquisition of university patents and clearance to market for startup medical device company.
- Analyzed competitor’s patents and counseled client regarding infringement exposure, then negotiated with client’s OEM customer regarding shifting infringement responsibility.
- Obtained important patent protection for client previously having difficulty with prosecution and aided client with enforcing patent against infringer.
Neil joined the firm after serving as an intellectual property attorney with the Ford Motor Company. His technical experience includes four years as a mechanical engineer, where he was responsible for new product development from concept to design to manufacturing start-up.
Boston Patent Law Association
- Board Member, 2013-Present
- President, 2012; Initiatives included: bid to host a US Patent Office Satellite Office in Boston; and establish relationships between Boston-area IP professionals and entrepreneur centers in Latin America
- Held various Board Positions and Offices between 2004-2011
- Judge for Innovation Awards Competition
Presenter at various industry organizations, including ASME and MassMEDIC
Neil has been named to the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. He has also been named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers list for his work in the field of intellectual property law.
An inventor himself, Neil holds five U.S. patents resulting from his prior engineering work.
Stevens Institute of Technology, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, with honors
Franklin Pierce Law Center, J.D.
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts