Matthew advises clients on patent matters with a deep understanding of the value of patents, combining his business, technical, and legal acumen.
As former Director of Intellectual Property (IP) at SRI International, a research and innovation company based in Silicon Valley, and several other companies, Matthew has extensive in-house and law firm experience in all phases of a patent’s life cycle, from working with inventors to making strategic decisions on patent filing to monetizing patent assets. These experiences allow him to better understand clients’ needs and value their successes as his top priority.
Matthew brings 26 years of experience in technology development, patent drafting and prosecution, intellectual property management, and patent acquisition. His practice concentrates on patent drafting and prosecution of utility and design patents, patentability and freedom-to-operate studies, trademark registration, IP due diligence, IP litigation support and IP licensing. His academic training in electrical and computer engineering, coupled with prior industry experience as a scientist and engineer, affords him an in-depth understanding of complex technologies behind his clients’ innovations.
Matthew is deeply rooted in engineering and research, and he is a contributor to the engineer community’s understanding of IP protection. He lectured a course entitled “Intellectual Property Rights: Protection, Enforcement and Risks” at the Fifteenth International Summer School on Advanced Computer Architecture and Compilation for High-Performance and Embedded Systems, July 14-20, 2019, Fiuggi, Italy. He has authored a book titled Fundamentals of Patenting and Licensing for Scientists and Engineers, World Scientific, 2008 and 2015, which have been used as a textbook for patent and innovation courses at UC Berkeley, Tsinghua University, University of Oslo, Rochester Institute of Technology, and IEEE. Matthew is editor-in-chief and a contributing author of a Chinese book titled Handbook of Best Practices in Intellectual Property Management, Enterprise Management Publishing, 2011. He has also published two online tutorials on patent protection for engineers with the IEEE eLearning Library.
During 2005-2021, Matthew was Associate Editor of International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence. During 2011-2013, he was appointed by UC Berkeley and Tsinghua University to teach a course “Patent Strategy and Innovation” at Tsinghua University, Beijing. He has also served as Chief Advisor, Intellectual Property to Office of Enterprise Management Job Training & Certification, Chinese Enterprise Confederation from 2011-2014.
Prior to his transition into intellectual property, Matthew spent 15 years in corporate research, mostly with Panasonic R&D Company in the United States as a senior scientist working on artificial intelligence, machine learning, signal and document analysis, home networking, and telecommunications technologies. He is an inventor of 14 U.S.-granted patents and is an author of 30 refereed conference and journal papers. He has also published two technical books on recommendation systems and mobile multimedia processing.
Prior to joining Wolf Greenfield, Matthew held various roles in the intellectual property field. Most recently, he was a patent attorney at an international law firm, where he drafted and prosecuted patent applications in the electronics and software space.
- Ma, Fundamentals of Patenting and Licensing for Scientists and Engineers, World Scientific, 1ST & 2ND editions (2009, 2015)
- Ma and Kwok, Handbook of Best Practices in Intellectual Property Management (in Chinese), Enterprise Management Publishing House, 2011 (Foreword by Lipu Tian, then-director of State IP Office)
- Jiang, Ma, Chen, Mobile Multimedia Processing: Fundamentals, Methods, and Applications, Springer, 2010
- Uchyigit and Ma, Personalization Techniques and Recommender Systems, World Scientific, 2008
Refereed Journal and Conference Papers
- Multi-Aspect Rating Inference with Aspect-based Segmentation, IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing (TAC), 3(4):469-481, 2012
- Uncertainty-based Active Learning with Instability Estimation for Text Classification, ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing (TSLP), 8(4), article 5:1-21, 2012
- Aspect-based Opinion Polling from Customer Reviews, IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing (TAC), 2(1):37-49, 2011
- Confidence-based Stopping Criteria for Active Learning for Data Annotation, 2011 ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing (TSLP), 6(3):1-24, 2011
- Active Learning with Sampling by Uncertainty and Density for Data Annotations, IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Volume: 18 , Issue: 6, pp. 1323 – 1331, 2010
- A Recommender Handoff Framework for a Mobile Device, Mobile Multimedia Processing: Fundamentals, Methods and Applications, LNCS 5960, Springer, pp.137-151, 2010
- A Recommender Handoff Framework with DVB-H Support on a Mobile Device, Proceeding of the First Int. Workshop on Mobile Multimedia Processing, pp. 64-71, 2008
- A Dynamic Programming Model for Text Segmentation Based on Min-Max Similarity, Proceeding of Asian Information Retrieval Symposium (AIRS), 2008
- A Low Resource Consumption Image Region Extraction Algorithm for Mobile Devices, Proceeding of IEEE Int. Conf. of Multimedia and Expo, 2007
- A Recommender Framework for Electronic Programming Guide on a Mobile Device, Proceeding of IEEE Int. Conf. of Multimedia and Expo, 2007
- Editorial of Special Issue of Personalization Techniques and Recommender Systems, Int. Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, pp 179-181, Vol. 21, No.2, 2007
- Content Classification for Electronic Programming Guide Recommendation for a Portable Device, Int. Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, pp 375-395, Vol. 21, No.2, 2007
- Editorial of Special Issue of Intelligent Mobile and Embedded Systems, Int. Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, pp 463-465, Vol. 20, No.4, 2006
- Implementing a SIP-based Device Communication Middleware for OSGi Framework with Extension to Wireless Networks, First Int. Multi-Symposiums on Computer and Computational Sciences (IMSCCS), pp 603-610, 2006
- A SIP-based OSGi Device Communication Service for Mobile Personal Area Networks, 3rd IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), Volume 1, pp 502 – 508, 2006
- Supporting Development of Context-aware Applications Using Semantic Space Toolkit, Int. Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, pp 585-607, Vol. 20, No.4, 2006
- Electronic Programming Guide Recommender for Viewing on a Portable Device, 1st Int. Workshop on Web Personalization, Recommender Systems and Intelligent User Interfaces (WPRSIUI), pp 79-88, 2005
- From Pixels to True XML Structures in Digital Document Images, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1057-1069, 2004
- IDTV Broadcast Applications for a Handheld Device, IEEE International Conference of Communication (ICC), 2004
- Universal Remote Console Standard – Toward Natural User Interaction in Ambient Intelligence, Proceedings of the International Conference on Human Computer Interaction (CHI), pp 1608-1609, 2004
- Automatic Image Cropping for Mobile Device with Built-in Camera, Proceeding of IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 2004
- A Post-processing System for Correcting Machine Recognized Text, Advances in Computation of Oriental Language, 20th International Conference on Computer Processing of Oriental Languages, pp. 568-575, 2003
- Structured Document for Information Retrieval, Advances in Computation of Oriental Language, 20th International Conference on Computer Processing of Oriental Languages, pp. 363-370, 2003
- Page Classification through Logical Labelling, 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Vol. 3, pp. 477-480, 2002
- Separating Handwritten Material from Machine Printed Text Using Hidden Markov Models, Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 439-443, 2001
- Retrieval of Cursive Chinese Handwritten Annotations Based on Radical Model, Proc. of International Conf. on Chinese Language Computing, pp. 142-149, 2000
- Studies of Radical Model for Retrieval of Cursive Chinese Handwritten Characters, Advances in Pattern Recognition Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 1876, pp. 407-416, 2000
- Ink Matching of Cursive Chinese Handwriting Annotations, Int. J. of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 119–141, 1998
- Ink Matching of Cursive Chinese Handwriting Annotations, Advances in Oriental Document Analysis and Recognition Techniques, World Scientific, 1998
- Using Semantics in Matching Cursive Chinese Handwriting Annotations, Advances in Pattern Recognition Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 1451, Springer-Verlag, pp. 292-301, 1998
- Approximate Ink Matching of Chinese Handwriting Annotations, Proceeding of International Conference of Processing of Oriental Languages (ICCPOL), pp. 95-100, 1997
- Semantic Matching of Free-format Chinese Handwriting, Proceeding of International Conference of Processing of Oriental Languages (ICCPOL), pp. 107-112, 1997
- A Digital Geography Database System, Proceedings of the Forum of Advanced Digital Libraries, pp. 239-240, 1995
- Segmentation of Medical Images Using Mathematical Morphology, SPIE Proceedings, Vol. 1660, 1992
Matthew is actively involved with engineer and entrepreneur communities, and is a frequent speaker of New Jersey Chinese Computer Professionals Society, Chinese Institute of Engineers USA-Seattle Chapter, Seattle Entrepreneurship Club, and IEEE. He has assisted clients in incorporating and dissolving non-profit organizations, and obtaining of 501(c)(3) tax exempt status with the IRS.