Turhan Sarwar is an experienced intellectual property attorney with a practice encompassing litigation and post-grant proceedings at the trial and appellate levels, IP portfolio development and licensing, and counseling regarding the prosecution of domestic and international patent and trademark applications.
Turhan has extensive experience with litigation strategy and procedure in federal and state courts, proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and investigations before the US International Trade Commission. His cases have included a wide array of technology areas, including computer hardware and software, data storage devices, semiconductors, wireless communications and networking systems, GPS, controller systems, consumer and mobile electronics, and medical devices.
Turhan's litigation skillset includes complaint drafting, managing discovery, taking and defending depositions, developing technical arguments with expert witnesses, claim construction and summary judgment strategy, motions in limine, trial witness preparation, settlement negotiations, and drafting settlement and licensing agreements.
Clients regularly turn to Turhan for advice related to patent prosecution, including analyzing office actions and applicant responses, drafting claims, coordinating and developing support for technical arguments, and identifying areas for IP development within portfolios to align existing patent families with market shifts and evolving business strategies. He also oversees development of trademark portfolios for small businesses and startups, including through registrations, supplemental registrations, and oppositions.
Prior to practicing law, Turhan was a consultant at a biometrics consulting and integration firm conducting technology research for individual biometric modalities (fingerprint, iris, etc.), industry research for identity management and security applications, and feasibility and vulnerability analysis of specific biometric deployments for government and commercial clients.
Litigation and Post-Grant Proceedings:
- Represents Infineon in inter partes review proceedings concerning smart card technology.
- Represented Google in litigation and inter partes review proceedings concerning a variety of technology areas, including GPS, location services, face recognition, and consumer electronics.
- Represented ACTIV Financial Systems in inter partes review proceeding concerning distributed data pre-processing.
- Represented Smith & Nephew before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in a twelve-patent litigation concerning orthopedic medical devices, and in related inter partes review proceedings.
- Represented BTG International before the United States International Trade Commission in investigation involving antibody-based snake antivenom compositions.
- Represented Sony before the United States International Trade Commission in investigation involving telecommunications technology.
- Represented DEKA before the United States International Trade Commission in investigation relating to personal transporter devices in which client secured a General Exclusion Order.
- Represented plaintiff in seven-figure enforcement campaign concerning product photography that included copyright and DMCA litigation before the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Aided in representing international advertising company in patent infringement and trade secret case concerning software for tracking advertising effectiveness.
Prior IP Experience:
- Drafted office action responses and helped prosecute patents for major developer of wireless communication technology; aided in management, licensing, and enforcement of standards-essential IP portfolio.
- Aided in developing infringement theories for enforcement campaign for microprocessor manufacturer.
- Aided in representing sports equipment manufacturer in appellate litigation for patent and Lanham Act matter concerning bicycle components.
- Aided in management of international patent portfolio of manufacturer of discrete semiconductor devices and passive electronic components.
Prior Consulting Experience:
- Conducted vulnerability and accuracy analysis for optical- and capacitance-based fingerprint sensors, iris scanners, face recognition scanners, and speaker/speech recognition technologies.
Turhan is recognized on the inaugural Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list by The Best Lawyers in America©. He has also been repeatedly named to the list of Massachusetts Rising Stars by Super Lawyers.
In law school, Turhan earned Honors for excellence in Legal Writing. He also received the Exemplary Pro Bono Service Award.
Turhan enjoys writing fiction and is a proponent of cats and hats.